The theme of the XX IOHA Congress is Memory and Narration. The congress focuses on the complex and multidimensional nature of oral history, and we welcome presentations from diverse perspectives. We invite papers that focus on methodological issues concerning the production and analysis of oral histories and life stories. We especially encourage contributions related to oral history sources as narratives/narration and applications of methodological theories and practices.
Therefore, the panels and presentations will address the following themes:
– Archived oral history
– Personal and shared narratives
– Transgenerational memory
– Class, gender, age and memory
– Traditions, folklore and history
– Oral history research in different disciplines
– New waves of oral history
– Oral history, theory and ethics
– Oral history and narration
– Life narratives and oral history
The XX IOHA Congress coincides with the anniversary of two important events in Finnish history, the centennial of the 1918 Finnish Civil War as well as the end of World War I. The congress organizers would therefore like to welcome also contributions that address memories of wars and other conflicts, narratives of survival, intergenerational war memories and communities of commemoration.